The Mojave Road is a historic route across the Mojave Desert first used by Native Americans to travel between the Colorado River and the coast. Spanish explorers, Mexican traders, and American settlers have used the route. Today, the 121-mile long 4-wheel drive trail across the Mojave Desert is on the “bucket list” of every overland adventurer.
C4WDA has obtained a Special Use Permit from the National Park Service to lead a run over a portion* of the Mojave Road on May 25 & 26, 2016. This run is not part of the annual C4WDA Hi Desert Round-Up, but it is timed to allow participants to easily transition to the Hi Desert Round-Up, which starts on May 27. In addition to traveling the portion of the Mojave Road that traverses the Mojave National Preserve, we will take side trips to Hole-in-the-Wall, Kelso Depot, and Lava Tubes. Here are details:
- There is no charge for this run, but participants must be members of Cal4Wheel and vehicles must be street legal and meet the safety requirements of C4WDA. Participants may make a donation to help cover the cost of the permit and event insurance.
- The run will depart at 1:00 pm on Wednesday, May 25 from Fort Piute on the Mojave Road. Camp on Wednesday night will be at the Black Canyon Group Campground in the Mojave National Preserve. The run will end on Thursday afternoon, May 26 at the Razor OHV area. Participants may depart or camp out and proceed to High Desert Roundup the next day (about 60 miles).
- Your name, the name of your club (or unaffiliated), your C4WDC member number and the number of people in your vehicle
- Your address, and phone
- Your vehicle make/model/year
- An emergency contact.
- You will receive an email confirmation with more details and directions to the meeting point. Under the terms of the permit, the run is limited to 15 vehicles and 30 people. If necessary, we will have a wait list.
* Due to limitations of the Special Use Permit for this run, this run will start at mile 21 of the Mojave Road (near Fort Piute) and end at mile 104 of the Mojave Road (at the Razor OHV area). Participants may travel the first 21 miles and/or the last 17 miles of the Mojave Road on their own, but such travel will not be part of this C4WDA led run.