California Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
Effective: January 1, 2008
Effective: January 1, 2008
The California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs (CA4WDC) takes seriously the issue of safeguarding your privacy online. Please read the following to understand our views and practices regarding this matter, and how they pertain to you as you make full use of our website. This statement discloses the privacy practices for our website including:
1. What information this site gathers/tracks about you
2. What this site does with the information it gathers/tracks
3. With whom this site shares the information it gathers/tracks
4. This site's opt-out policy
Frequently Asked Questions about your privacy
Does CA4WDC ask for personal information?
In general you are not required to divulge any personal information in order to read the content on CA4WDC’s websites. However you may be asked for some information when accessing certain of CA4WDC's features such as described below:
- CA4WDC Mailing lists: When subscribing to an CA4WDC sponsored mailing list you will have to supply your email address in order to receive the Email. Lists of the subscribers and email addresses of our Email lists are not sold or otherwise commercially distributed by CA4WDC. You have the right to unsubscribe from any Email list at any time.
- CA4WDC Forum System: When registering to use our BBS and Forums, you may be asked to supply a name, your email address and possibly other personally identifying information for the sole purposes of preventing abuse of our forum. This information is not used for any other purpose.
- CA4WDC Contests or Sweepstakes: In order to enter any of CA4WDC's contests or sweepstakes you will be required to enter certain personal identifying information such as your name, address and phone number and may be asked certain demographic information as well. In this instance the demographic information is separated from the identifying information. The necessary identifying information such as names and addresses may be supplied to the companies furnishing the prizes for these contests. The demographic information, without any specific personal identifiers, is used by CA4WDC to develop summarized demographic information about our readership. Companies sponsoring contests or sweepstakes in direct partnership with CA4WDC agree not to sell or distribute the information derived from that contest.
- CA4WDC Store Order Forms: When buying products from CA4WDC's own store you will have to enter personal identifying information and financial information such as credit card numbers. This will be done via a secure server. The information is used only to process your order and for no other purpose.
- CA4WDC Advertisers: The CA4WDC is an advertising supported commercial publication. Companies may run ads on our publication and those ads may lead to the companies web sites and/or product order forms. Those sites, ads or order forms, whether hosted on our site or off of our site, may ask you for certain specific information. The CA4WDC has no control over what these outside companies may do with the information that you supply them.
- Commercial and Advertising Inquiries: Companies or individuals seeking information about advertising on CA4WDC or entering a listing into any of our listings databases may be asked to provide information about their business. The information collected is used by our marketing staff to respond to inquiries.
How does The CA4WDC use my personal information?
- The CA4WDC's goal in collecting the limited personal information it does is to provide you, the user and our readers, with the best web experience possible and to prevent the abuse of our system and its services.
What if I make a purchase through a site hosted by CA4WDC or a merchant who advertises on CA4WDC?
- If you place an order at a merchant site hosted by CA4WDC, a separate affiliated merchant, or with a merchant advertising on CA4WDC, they may collect information from you, including your credit card and contact information. This information will be used by the merchant. CA4WDC does not own, control, or influence these businesses in any way and all transactions and use of any customer information are the sole responsibility of the merchant. For further information regarding the merchant's use of customer information, contact that business or merchant directly.
Will CA4WDC disclose any of my personal information?
- CA4WDC will not disclose any of your personal information, except as described above, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires or compels it, or to protect the rights and/or property of CA4WDC.
- CA4WDC does disclose personal information in some limited circumstances, but this is specifically described to you when we collect the information, such as on any form collecting personal information, in a Terms of Service or Use Agreements, or in the rules or entry forms of sweepstakes or other promotions.
- CA4WDC may disclose aggregated user or demographic statistics (for example, 45% of our users are males between 21 and 35 years old) in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
- If you make a purchase from a site hosted by CA4WDC, or from a merchant advertising on CA4WDC, the information obtained during your visit to those sites, and the information that you give such as your credit card number and contact information, is provided to the merchants. These merchants have separate privacy and data collection practices. The CA4WDC has no control, responsibility or liability for these independent policies. For more information regarding the merchant, their sites or stores, and their privacy policies, contact them directly.
Will CA4WDC use my information for direct mailings?
- In general, CA4WDC will not; however, if you enter a contest or sweepstakes the contact information from your entry form may be provided to the sponsor of that contest. These contest sponsors may use it to mail you further information about their products or services or otherwise use these lists. If you have signed up for CA4WDC's mailing lists or forums you will be sent that mail and may receive mail from other users of the list. If you sign up for CA4WDC's other services, we may mail you information that is necessary to accommodate that service. If we ever do collect information for direct mailings or to provide to others for direct mailings any such use will be disclosed on any form that we use to collect that information.
What about children?
- Naturally, the safety of children is very important to us. Kids should always ask parents for permission before sending personal information to anyone online or to any website. Parents, please keep in mind we do not intentionally collect any information from minors and that we have no specific protections in place.
Yes, Cookies may be used on CA4WDC in various ways:
- Cookies may be used to control the delivery of various media including banner ads to our readers. These benign cookies are used to keep you from seeing the same rotating advertising over and over again. These cookies may be set when enter our site, or access a specific section or each page.
- Cookies may be used in CA4WDC's stores to help create and maintain a personalized shopping cart.
- Cookies and/or IP Addresses are also used to estimate our audience size and page traffic statistics. Each browser accessing CA4WDC may be given a unique cookie, which is then used to determine repeat usage versus initial usage, and to help analyze traffic patterns. This cookie should not have any significant personally identifying information.
- In the future, CA4WDC may use cookie-based technology to provide personalized services, to remember login information or to provide more advanced features.
Does CA4WDC use or collect my IP Address?
- CA4WDC may collect IP addresses for the purposes of system administration and to track and report readership and site performance statistics. We may also collect IP information to assist in maintaining features such as our forum and email subscription services and to identify and block abuse of the system.
What is CA4WDC's Opt-Out Policy?
- Reading any part of CA4WDC’s websites and/or using any of our services is an entirely voluntary action. On any form where you are asked to submit any personal information that you are not comfortable submitting you may elect not to fill out the form or utilize the service. Where appropriate we may also provide an Opt-Out or Opt-In option, or options, that let you elect how parts of the information you are providing is used. Any such option will be clearly indicated. We have no control over how advertisers or sites that may be linked to or hosted by CA4WDC use information that they may collect, or their privacy policies.
What else should I know about my privacy?
- Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily post or disclose personal information online - for example on message boards, through email, or in chat areas - that same information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
- Furthermore, while we endeavor to take all reasonable precautions to protect your personal information, CA4WDC cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
- In addition, CA4WDC's advertisers, merchants, partners, and third party Internet sites and services accessible through or linked to CA4WDC or parties whom we inform you are collecting data in connection with sweepstakes, promotions, etc., have separate privacy and data collection practices, independent of us. CA4WDC has no control over, or responsibility for or liability in regards to these independent policies or actions.
REMEMBER: You are solely responsible for protecting your personal information and the secrecy of your passwords and/or any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you're online. We will do the best we can to help you, but you have to take reasonable precautions and have reasonable expectations as well.
We do not have any control or influence over sites that may advertise with us, or merchants that may have various forms of advertising, sites, or storefronts on our servers, or sites that may be linked to us. However, if you become aware of any privacy or business abuses by any of those merchants, sites or services please inform us so we can take any possible action we deem appropriate. We do not have control or influence over the privacy policies of affiliated sites. Please see their privacy policies for that information.