August meetings scheduled for CALREC Sustainable Recreation Key Working Group
The State of California and the U.S. Forest Service are co-leading the Sustainable Recreation / CALREC Vision Key Working Group (SRCRV) for the development of a “Joint Strategy for Sustainable Outdoor Recreation in California” for California’s Wildfire & Forest Resilience Task Force. The purpose of the Joint Strategy is to increase access to sustainable outdoor recreation in California with a focus on identifying actions to support outdoor recreation as people and communities are increasingly vulnerable to wildfire and the impacts of smoke, in the past, the present, and into the future.
Through working with partners from the Task Force and the California Natural Resources Agency, the SRCRV Key Working Group is ready to share a working draft of the Joint Strategy. The Joint Strategy will approach recreation through an all-lands and all-waters approach with the expectation that actions may be implemented collaboratively by a variety of organizations and agencies such as yours. Your input will help ensure that the Joint Strategy is comprehensive, addresses key issues and opportunities, and is actionable.
Each meeting will take about 2 to 4 hours of time, including:
- Reviewing the working draft of the Joint Strategy, which will be available online in mid-August; an email will be distributed with link information when it is posted.
- Participating in only one of the following identically structured 90-minute virtual sessions that will work best for your schedule:
- August 17, 4:00PM-5:30PM (Wednesday) REGISTER HERE
- August 18, 10:00AM-11:30AM (Thursday) REGISTER HERE
- August 22, 3:00PM-4:30PM (Monday) REGISTER HERE
- August 24, 8:30AM-10:00AM (Wednesday) REGISTER HERE
- If desired, providing more detailed input on the working draft of the Joint Strategy via an online survey that will be available in mid-August; an email will be distributed with a link when the survey is posted.
Registration to attend the single session of your choice is required – register using the links above. The content shared in each of the four sessions will be the same – you only need to attend one session. If you are unable to attend a session, you will still be able to review the Working Draft and complete the survey.
By way of background, in the summer of 2021, California’s Wildfire & Forest Resilience Task Force tasked CALREC Vision, an effort sponsored by the Mammoth Lakes Trails and Public Access Foundation (MLTPA), to establish, convene, and facilitate the Key Working Group to be co-led by the U.S. Forest Service and the State of California, charged with delivering Actions 3.13 and 3.14 of the California Wildfire and Forest Resilience Action Plan. Over the past nine months, the Key Working Group has been hard at work on its task to deliver a Joint Strategy to improve access to sustainable recreation with key actions focused on threats from wildfire. We will soon be ready to share that working draft with you.